- Student evaluations in Chemical Engineering Materials class (size 50+) reached 12-year high (4.5/5.0)
- Congratulations to Sam for being selected as a Chateaubriand Fellow for visiting the University of Paris for a joint research project in 2020-2021.
- Congratulations to Lesli and Cheng for better understanding biomass upgrading reactions on palladium nanoparticle catalysts, now published in ACS Catalysis with an upcoming journal cover.
- Congratulations to Tariq for deciphering comb-copolymer interactions with C-S-H surfaces in cement, now published in Green Chemistry. The work is highlighted on the journal cover.
- Student evaluations for Chemical Engineering Laboratory (size 30+) at 5.9/6.0
- Interpretable Augmented Intelligence for Multiscale Material Design – Workshop and Kickoff Meeting at OSU Oct 25/26
- Cyberloop for Accelerated Bionanomaterials Design – Workshop and Kickoff Meeting at CU Oct 16/17
- Juan (Luis) has now become a Professor at Dalian Maritime University – and we are missing her already (August)
- Congratulations to Amanda’s successful PhD defense (June)
- Michael’s work in collaboration with John Miao (UCLA) on monitoring nucleation and growth in 4D is published in Nature (June)
- Congratulations to Amanda for her first author paper on metal ion adsorption and substitution in hydroxyapatite in Journal of Physical Chemistry C and the journal cover!
- Spring ACS meeting in Orlando – Polymer interphases symposium (PMSE)
(left to right: Peter Coveney, UCL; Luke Henderson, Deakin U; Sinan Keten, Northwestern U; Young Jong Kang, Hanyang U; Ahmed Ghobadi, P&G; Hilmar Koerner, AFRL; Russell Varley, Deakin U; Reinhold Dauskardt, Stanford U; Richard Vaia, AFRL; Jodie Lutkenhaus, Texas A&M U; Sameer Rahatekar, Cranfield U; Dhriti Nepal, AFRL; Catherin Brinson, Duke U; Hendrik Heinz, U Colorado, Michael Bockstaller, CMU)
- Aerospace polymers symposium (POLY)
(left to right: Witold Fuchs, USM; Luke Henderson, Deakin U; Jared Bates, USM; Hendrik Heinz, U Colorado; Gregory Odegard, Michigan Tech; Triet Nguyen-Beck, AFRL; Rajiv Berry, AFRL; Vikas Varshney, AFRL (back); Carla Reynolds, Boeing (middle); Sameer Rahatekar, Cranfield U (front); Dhriti Nepal, AFRL; Jeffrey Wiggins, USM (back); Michael Van Tooren, U South Carolina; Russell Varley, Deakin U; Debra Barnhardt, U Queensland (back); Andrea Browning, Schrodinger (middle); Virginia Davis, AUburn U (front); Peter Coveney, UCL; Theo Dingemans, UNC; Kenneth Caster, AFOSR)
- Multiscale modeling panel (POLY)
- Juan’s work with Yu Huang and Jim De Yoreo on peptide nucleation on MoS2 is published in Science (December)
- Hendrik receives CU Outstanding Mentor Award (with Juan Liu and Ryan Reeves)
- Congratulations to Tariq Jamil for his successful PhD defense! (August)
- Group dinner downtown
(left to right: Amanda Garley, Lesli Mark, Juan Liu, Shiyi Wang, Samuel Hoff, Michael Nathanson, Joe Manning, Tariq Jamil, Krishan Kanhaiya, Hendrik Heinz, Mahdi Tavakol)
- Welcome Joe Manning, visiting PhD student from University of Sheffield (UK) with an RSC research mobility grant
- Yu Huang (UCLA), John Miao (UCLA), and Hendrik Heinz (team-lead) receive a Special Creativity Award from the National Science Foundation for outstanding progress in the Materials Genome Initiative (February)
- Welcome Mahdi Tavakol, visiting PhD student and National Talent Scholar (January)
- Invited seminar on multiscale modeling and mechanics of building materials at ETH Zurich (January)
- Heinz team and Marialore Sulpizi (U Mainz) introduce the first polarizable and compatible model for metals (Nat. Comm.) (January)
Past memories .. Heinz group in 2009
(left to right: Ratan Mishra, Yao-Tsung Fu, Jie Feng, Hendrik Heinz, Kshitij Jha, Rajiv Berry, Fateme Emami, Hua Liu)
- Chemical and Biological Engineering Seminar (Patten Seminar Series)
- Biofrontiers Seminars and Events
- Chemistry and Biochemistry – All events and seminars
- Physics – All seminars and colloquiums
Societies, Conferences and Workshops