- Student evaluations in Spring Chemical Engineering Materials class reached new 12-year high (4.7/5.0) and in ChemE Senior Lab again at 4.9/5.0
- Congratulations to Shiyi for her first-author paper on explaining oxygen binding to platinum surfaces in electrolytes and quantitatively predicting the relative ORR activity for the first time using a computational method (accepted). (May)
- Hendrik starting as Senior Editor for Langmuir – the ACS journal of Colloids and Interfaces. Many thanks to the Editor-in-chief and editorial team for the nomination! I am also deeply grateful to the fantastic team of New Journal of Chemistry and to the Royal Society of Chemistry where I served as Associate Editor from 2017-2021, and to RSC Advances where I served as an Associate Editor from 2015-2017.
- Congratulations to Krishan for his first-author paper on compatible force fields for 10 fcc metals, steel and their interfaces, which exceed the reliability of DFT calculations, in NPJ Computational Materials (January)
- Hendrik elected as Fellow of the International Association for the Advancement of Materials (FIAAM) and received a Vebleo Scientist award
- Congratulations to Luis and Cheng for their work in Chemical Science on a force field for MoS2 any inorganic/organic interfaces & the journal cover
- Student evaluations in Spring Chemical Engineering Materials class (size 50+) reached 12-year high (4.6/5.0)
- Congratulations to Sam for being selected as a Chateaubriand Fellow for visiting the University of Paris for a joint research project in 2020-2021.
- Congratulations to Lesli and Cheng for better understanding biomass upgrading reactions on palladium nanoparticle catalysts, now published in ACS Catalysis with an upcoming journal cover.
- Congratulations to Tariq for deciphering comb-copolymer interactions with C-S-H surfaces in cement, now published in Green Chemistry. The work is highlighted on the journal cover.
- Student evaluations for Fall Chemical Engineering Laboratory (size 30+) at 5.9/6.0
- Interpretable Augmented Intelligence for Multiscale Material Design – Workshop and Kickoff Meeting at OSU Oct 25/26
- Cyberloop for Accelerated Bionanomaterials Design – Workshop and Kickoff Meeting at CU Oct 16/17
- Juan (Luis) has now become a Professor at Dalian Maritime University – and we are missing her already (August)
- Congratulations to Amanda’s successful PhD defense (June)
- Michael’s work in collaboration with John Miao (UCLA) on monitoring nucleation and growth in 4D is published in Nature (June)
- Congratulations to Amanda for her first author paper on metal ion adsorption and substitution in hydroxyapatite in Journal of Physical Chemistry C and the journal cover!
- Spring ACS meeting in Orlando – Polymer interphases symposium (PMSE)
(left to right: Peter Coveney, UCL; Luke Henderson, Deakin U; Sinan Keten, Northwestern U; Young Jong Kang, Hanyang U; Ahmed Ghobadi, P&G; Hilmar Koerner, AFRL; Russell Varley, Deakin U; Reinhold Dauskardt, Stanford U; Richard Vaia, AFRL; Jodie Lutkenhaus, Texas A&M U; Sameer Rahatekar, Cranfield U; Dhriti Nepal, AFRL; Catherin Brinson, Duke U; Hendrik Heinz, U Colorado, Michael Bockstaller, CMU)
- Aerospace polymers symposium (POLY)
(left to right: Witold Fuchs, USM; Luke Henderson, Deakin U; Jared Bates, USM; Hendrik Heinz, U Colorado; Gregory Odegard, Michigan Tech; Triet Nguyen-Beck, AFRL; Rajiv Berry, AFRL; Vikas Varshney, AFRL (back); Carla Reynolds, Boeing (middle); Sameer Rahatekar, Cranfield U (front); Dhriti Nepal, AFRL; Jeffrey Wiggins, USM (back); Michael Van Tooren, U South Carolina; Russell Varley, Deakin U; Debra Barnhardt, U Queensland (back); Andrea Browning, Schrodinger (middle); Virginia Davis, AUburn U (front); Peter Coveney, UCL; Theo Dingemans, UNC; Kenneth Caster, AFOSR)
- Multiscale modeling panel (POLY)
- Juan’s work with Yu Huang and Jim De Yoreo on peptide nucleation on MoS2 is published in Science (December)
- Hendrik receives CU Outstanding Mentor Award (with Juan Liu and Ryan Reeves)
- Congratulations to Tariq Jamil for his successful PhD defense! (August)
- Group dinner downtown
(left to right: Amanda Garley, Lesli Mark, Juan Liu, Shiyi Wang, Samuel Hoff, Michael Nathanson, Joe Manning, Tariq Jamil, Krishan Kanhaiya, Hendrik Heinz, Mahdi Tavakol)
- Welcome Joe Manning, visiting PhD student from University of Sheffield (UK) with an RSC research mobility grant
- Yu Huang (UCLA), John Miao (UCLA), and Hendrik Heinz (team-lead) receive a Special Creativity Award from the National Science Foundation for outstanding progress in the Materials Genome Initiative (February)
- Welcome Mahdi Tavakol, visiting PhD student and National Talent Scholar (January)
- Invited seminar on multiscale modeling and mechanics of building materials at ETH Zurich (January)
- Heinz team and Marialore Sulpizi (U Mainz) introduce the first polarizable and compatible model for metals (Nat. Comm.) (January)
Past memories .. Heinz group in 2009
(left to right: Ratan Mishra, Yao-Tsung Fu, Jie Feng, Hendrik Heinz, Kshitij Jha, Rajiv Berry, Fateme Emami, Hua Liu)
- Chemical and Biological Engineering Seminar (Patten Seminar Series)
- Biofrontiers Seminars and Events
- Chemistry and Biochemistry – All events and seminars
- Physics – All seminars and colloquiums
Societies, Conferences and Workshops